Author(s). Article title. Abbreviated Journal Name. Year;vol(issue):inclusive pages. doi (for online articles).
- Rainier S, Thomas D, Tokarza D, et al. Myofibrillogensis regulator 1 gene mutations cause paroxysmal dystonic choreoathetosis. Arch Neurol. 2004;61(7):1025-1029.
- Bartoli A, Gabrielli F, Alicandro T, Nascimbeni F, Andreone P. COVID-19 treatment options: a difficult journey between failed attempts and experimental drugs. Intern Emerg Med. 2021;16(2):281-308. doi:10.1007/s11739-020-02569-9
- Abbreviated journal names are most easily found by searching the National Library of Medicine’s catalog at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog
- For journal articles first published online, or published only online, insert Published online date before the doi: e.g. Published online March 3, 2017. doi:10abcd/1234567890
- For an online journal article without a doi, follow the page number with the Accessed date and URL.
1. Wolfe W. State’s mail-order drug plan launched. Minneapolis Star Tribune. May 14, 2004:1B.
Note. For newspaper articles accessed online, follow the page number with the Accessed date and URL.
- Author(s). Book Title. Edition number (if second or above). Publisher; copyright year.
- Modlin J, Jekins P. Decision Analysis in Planning for a Polio Outbreak in the United States. Pediatric Academic Societies; 2004.
- Author(s). Book Title. Edition number (if second or above). Publisher; copyright year. Accessed date. URL
- Lunney JR, Foley KM, Smith TJ, Gelband H, eds. Describing Death in America: What We Need to Know. National Cancer Policy Board, Institute of Medicine; 2003. Accessed December 6, 2005. http://www.nap.edu/books/0309087252/html/
Chapter in a Book:
- Solensky R. Drug allergy: desensitization and treatment of reactions to antibiotics and aspirin. In: Lockey P, ed. Allergens and Allergen Immunotherapy. 33rd ed. Marcel Dekker; 2004:585-606.
Volumes and Editions:
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Understanding and Improving Health and Objectives for Improving Health. Vol 1. 2nd ed. US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2000.
Web Site: (Note: Include as much of the following information as is available)
- Author(s) (or, if no author is available, name of organization responsible for the site). Title of article. Name of Web site. Published date. Updated date. Accessed date. URL
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim guidance about avian influenza A (H5N1) for US citizens living abroad. Updated November 18, 2005. Accessed December 6, 2005. http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/ avian_flu_ig_americans_abraod-032405.htm
- Arthritis Foundation. Osteoarthritis. Accessed November 16, 2020. http://arthritis.org/diseases/osteoarthritis
- Everything you need to know about osteoarthritis. Healthline. Accessed November 16, 2020. http://healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis
- Panchal N, Kamal R, Orgera K, et al. The implications of COVID-19 for mental health and substance use. KFF. Accessed November 16, 2020. http://kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/the-implications-of-covid-19-for-mental-health-and-substance-use/
1. JAMA Facebook page. Accessed November 2, 2019. https://www.facebook.com/JAMAJournal/
2. Orellana J. Resources for references. AMA Style Insider blog. Posted October 25, 2019. Accessed November 2, 2019. https://amastyleinsider.com/2019/10/25/resources-for-references/
Secondary Citations and Quotations:
- Cauley JA, Lui L-Y, Ensrud KE, et al. Osteoporosis and fracture risk in women of different ethnic groups. JAMA. 2005;293(17):2102-2108. Cited by: Acheson LS. Bone Density and the risk of fractures: should treatment threshold vary by race [editorial]? JAMA. 2005;293(17):2151-2154.
- Kato S, Sherman PM. What is new related to Heliobacter pylori infection in children and teenagers? Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005;159(5):451-421. Quoted by: Prazar G. How many pediatricians does it take to change a practice? Or how to incorporate change into practice [editorial]. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005;159(5):500-502.